Tuesday 20 January 2009

All change...

So. The big day is finally here and we're all about to find out whether predictions of some terrible assassination will come to bear fruit. In just under two hours, Barack Obama will take Abraham Lincoln's bible and be sworn in as the new POTUS. Then he'll turn to the world and give his opening address. I cannot freaking wait. No one knows what will happen afterwards, but I'm pretty sure that his inaugural speech will be pretty spectacular. Will the world change for the better as a result of his first term in office? Potentially, yes. The possibility is there. Which - even if not much happens in the end - is pretty darn massive in itself. I may be naive, but I'm crossing my fingers. And anyway, even if only a few people become more open-minded as a result of his election, if a few less people die in senseless conflict, if a few more people think twice before wasting their time, money and influence on senseless acts of greed, then it'll be an improvement.

And, just to turn the inauguration of a new President of the Free World into an event of personal significance, I am personally very glad this is all happening because it's helping to put a few of my absurdly inflated panics and concerns in context. When potentially billions of the world's population will be affected by this one man taking the podium later today, it makes the amount of power I am giving another guy look slightly absurd. Then again, if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that this whole thing, existence, life, humanity, is pretty absurd. In a good way. God I'm being inarticulate. I'm going to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment