Thursday 29 January 2009

Not the only fruit

I'm unsure what to say. I was just doing my shopping online at Tesco and I wanted to buy a lemon. So, using the full range of my immense intelligence, into the Express Shopper list function I typed the word 'lemon'. Seconds later, I was offered a range of 178 results, divided into manageable categories, listed by the most likely aisles. 'Squash' was the first aisle they thought I wanted. Plausible, but not right. Then they suggested 'Dishwasher & Washing Up'. Then 'Fizzy Drinks'. Then 'Tea'. Then 'Jam, Honey & Spreads'. Then 'Cleaning Products'. Then 'Cakes'. Then 'Water'. Then, incredibly, 'Salt, Herbs & Spices'. I JUST WANT A FREAKING LEMON. 'Fresh Fruit' wasn't even one of the aisles they listed! What the hell is going on? I'm sure this isn't Tesco's fault. I'm sure that the aisles are generated by what most people end up buying after they type in the word 'lemon'. But I can't help feeling like there's something profoundly depressing about the whole thing. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, pluralising it seemed to help. When I searched for 'lemons', I got what I wanted immediately. Well, by immediately, I mean it was on the list. I won't actually have the citrus in my hand until some time on Saturday morning. But then I can start my first attempt at making my own houmous. Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment