Friday 28 March 2008

Mentally blank

Last night, the team from my office building who are running the London Marathon hosted a quiz evening to raise money for their chosen charities. Throughout the afternoon, the group of people with whom I was entering a quiz team emailed back and forth to decide on a name for ourselves. When we came up with 'Universally Challenged', I'm pretty sure it was with an element of irony. I don't think any of us knew quite how aposite it would turn out to be.

We were, for quite a while, last: tenth out of ten teams. And while we didn't finish last, we did end the evening periliously close to the bottom of the table. This would have been humiliating enough - but the fact is, we cheated. Vigorously and committedly throughout. My friend Laura was reading the questions and, I am afraid to say, regularly told us the answers. So quite how we managed to do so badly is a mystery just this side of the Loch Ness Monster in terms of sheer incalculability.

Now I am off to meet my new in-laws in Liverpool which is scary and exciting although after several weeks of non-stop action, there is a part of me that wants to lie in a swimming pool full of warm cookie dough and eat myself into a coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment