Thursday 14 May 2009

Hi, it's me

Ooh, I'm all riled about those silly Americans who have made a series of TV ads highlighting the failures of the British NHS, in order to deter Obama's plans for a more supportive healthcare system across the pond. Sure, there are lots of people who have been let down or disappointed by the NHS. It's certainly not perfect. But count up the percentage of Brits who feel lucky to have the NHS, and compare that to the percentage of Americans who feel lucky to have their current insurance-based system, and I'm certain that the answer would be fairly conclusive.

And then there's all this kerfuffle about MPs expenses. It really is quite laughable what they have legally been allowed to get away with. The sad thing is, the entire saga is just confirming what everyone thought before: the whole system sucks. Voter disenfranchisement is in full force now, next to no-one has any faith that the marks they leave on their ballot paper will do any good, leaving the door wide open for lairy parties like the BNP to waft in at the European Elections next month - their supporters won't be put off by superficial scandals like this one. It's all so terribly disappointing and, for the life of me, I can't see what's going to change anything except a massive issue like a war to pull everyone off the sidelines and reengage them with their government. And, much as I want parliamentary reform, even I wouldn't advocate getting involved in any more military disputes. Thankfully I have the third week of my politics course tonight and we are discussing voter apathy, so maybe I'll be able to supply you with the answers tomorrow.

On a different note, I can tell you that currently annoying me most are people who leave voicemails that begin, 'Hi, it's me.' Growl. Obviously if I can recognise your voice, then saying 'It's me' isn't going to change anything. What is even worse, however, is 'Hi, it's only me,' which shows such an appalling and deep-seated lack of self-confidence that it actually makes me angry rather than sad. I think I have too much time on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment