Wednesday 26 May 2010

A cornucopia of issues

So I'll update you on my existence and then we can cover this heartbreaking academies project and other hellish current affairs developments.

Friday night I went to see the Chemical Brothers (or as my 26 year old companion Chris insists on calling them, 'The Chems') at The Roundhouse. Last time I saw them perform live, I was eighteen and had told my parents I was staying the night at my friend Daisy's house but in fact we went to a Prodigy gig at Brixton Academy and took speed that our druggy friend Nick had put in a bottle of Ribena for us because we didn't want to snort it. The Chems were the support act but we'd drunk our Ribena too early and I was completely mental during that forty minute gig and then basically started aching and being tired during the main set. The next day I felt like my bones were eroding and Daisy and I compared notes about how horrific our comedowns were, but in retrospect I'd taken about half a gram of speed dissolved in a sugary drink, a combo which was about as likely to get me high as a Tracker bar. I think I was just unfit and six hours of dancing had given my body a shock. ANYWAY. Fourteen years on and the Chemical Brothers have a lot less hair and, personally, I think their music is a bit less exciting than it was when I first listened to Exit Planet Dust or whatever it was called. But it was a brilliant gig all the same, even without the alleged benefit of speed or Ribena - lots of dancing, lots of holding arms aloft to interfere with the amazing laser shows, lots of spilled pints and excitement about Bono's back injury that was possibly (at that point) going to exclude U2 from headlining at Glasto. Come on Bowie.

Saturday morning I was my own middle-class nightmare as I was awoken at 7.30am by the delivery man from Ocado, and proceeded to make my own garlic bread for the countryside gathering that lots of us went to and cor was it lovely. Old friends, hay bales to sit on, delicious food, Pimms and champagne in the sun, laughing, chinese lanterns after dark... a magical time and a blast from the past. Hungover and giggling uncontrollably on Sunday, work and choir on Monday, work and work-sponsored wine tasting last night - we tried bottles from Greece, Georgia, Italy and France and it was interesting. Apparently wine is thought to have originated somewhere around Georgia in 6000 or 7000 BC. Amazing. More interesting was the conversation I was having with my colleague before we sat down. I'd pointed out a guy from our floor who was also at the tasting, and indicated that he was thought to be a bit of a player. My colleague, let's call him Mike, said that didn't surprise him at all. Mike is in his early fifties and has been married nearly thirty years, and he told me that having a black-and-white attitude to infidelity is fairly naive. My jaw dropped.
"Do you mean that cheating is the norm?" I asked.
"I have no idea," he answered. "But it can't be a deal-breaker. Men are ruled by their pants. If it's going to be the end of your marriage if he fools around with another woman on a drunken night out, then you're going to find it hard going."
"Hang on," I said. "You're telling me that I have to be prepared to put up with infidelity if I get married?"
"I've never cheated, but I think it's not practical to say you will end a 25 year marriage on the basis of a one night mistake."
"Obviously I know he'll want to shag another woman at some point, possibly hourly," I said, just to show that I'm not too much of a purist. "And I'll meet other guys I find attractive too. But I've always hoped that, if he finds himself wanting to sleep with someone else, he'll come to me and tell me, and either we deal with it or we decide to break up."
"It's a nice idea, but I think your standards are impossibly high," Mike said. "These things are - normally - not premeditated. The guy gets drunk, goes home with the wrong person, wakes up remorseful - and just because of that, you're going to end a 25 year marriage, with three kids involved? It's not justified. No one is perfect."
"But that's just such a bad attitude. If he does it once and gets away with it, what's to stop him doing it again, over and over? I see what you mean, that ruining 25 years for one shag seems over the top, but if you can't trust him, then surely the things that make a marriage fun are mostly destroyed? And that's the worst bit - once you've been lied to once, once you've been made a fool of, your next relationship is affected too. You become paranoid and insecure, and having once been a laid-back cool girl, you move to be a divorcee with three kids who can't trust anyone else. Just because your stupid husband fancied a shag with someone else. The cheating moment itself may only last ten minutes but the effects are long-lasting..." Mike looked at me sadly - he clearly understood my point of view but still thought I was being hopelessly unrealistic. I felt totally powerless. And a bit sad. Really quite sad, actually. My first long term relationship ended because I was sorely tempted to cheat on my boyfriend. I didn't though - I spoke to him about it and we agreed that neither of us were happy, and we broke up. If my husband of 25 years wanted to cheat, I'd hope he would come and talk about it with me. But I guess if it just pops up out of nowhere, he's unlikely to phone me from the cab he's taking back to her house, with her kissing his neck as he explains his predicament. Meh, I dunno. I just hate the whole thought of infidelity. It really makes me feel sick. Desire to sleep with someone else I'm fine with - but actually going through with it, and lying to the person who's been there for you for the past quarter of a century... I just can't see how I should be laid back about that prospect. And that whole argument about men being rule by their pants, it's pathetic. It may be true, but it's pathetic. Women have just as strong a need to be loved and flattered and fancied. Maybe the chemicals are different and men genuinely can't control their urges. But I don't believe that's true of all of them. Some of them are honourable enough to keep it in their pants. I won't get married until I find one like that. And I refuse to be grateful if he is. Fidelity should be a given, not an unexpected bonus. Conversing with Mike was unexpectedly depressing. Glad (in many ways) that I'm not married to him.

In other news... It's my country's economy that's going down the pan, but I did laugh when I read this extract on The Graun's website, detailing some very-much-predicted issues with the Conservatives' budget in yesterday's Queen's Speech:
'Osborne was forced to abolish child trust funds altogether after the Tories overestimated savings that could be made on the basis of advice from the Whitehall efficiency experts, Sir Peter Gershon and Dr Martin Read. Gershon had said that £1bn of the £6bn cuts would come from savings in government IT projects, while up to £1bn would come from a recruitment freeze across the civil service. The Treasury said yesterday that IT had produced savings of £95m, less than 10% of the amount initially identified, while the recruitment freeze would produce savings of £120m, slightly more than 10% of the amount estimated by Gershon in that area.
Labour had lampooned a two-page document produced by Gershon during the election campaign outlining his efficiency savings. Liam Byrne, the shadow chief secretary to the Treasury, said tonight: "We warned the Tories that their plans were wrong. Now they're having to break both parties' manifesto promises and wipe out child trust funds because they wouldn't listen."'
I've no problem with child trust funds falling by the wayside, but it does show that complex descriptions of proposed financial savings made by a party while in opposition should pretty much always be taken with a shedful of salt.

Meh, no energy to carry on typing - suffice to say, this new academies drive by the Tories (and, yes, the LibDems) is exactly what I feared most - schools being run outside the jurisdiction of the local councils, ostensibly to free up teachers from national red tape: a good aim but a terrible solution. Academies are privately funded by businesses or individuals - how can this fail to create a massive disparity between different schools in different areas? It also opens things up for a plethora of faith schools. Agh. It's a disgrace, seriously. I can't even really believe it's happening. The whole thing makes me massively disappointed and LIVID with the LibDems for sanctioning such a lot of bollocks. I'm still glad I voted for them, because the vaguely-hinted-at referendum on AV in 2011 will mean the next election is slightly fairer than it would have been, had the coalition not been formed. But the Labour leadership candidates look pretty uninspiring at the moment so right now I really have no idea who I'll be voting for in 2015. With the education system going down the pan thanks to a 'solution' that will make the existing postcode lottery situation look like a pleasant dream, this country might be so freaking scary that I might not even be here next time around. Grumpy grumpy.

9 comments:

  1. "Mike" made me feel just as you have... urges, what scientists have claimed to be what men are biologically here to do, "spread their seed", is sheer b*llocks. We aren't cave men, we have evolved (well women have). If the tables were turned and the question was "what if your wife cheated?", I think his answer would've been very different. Marriage is a commitment not only of the heart but of your health - not only did that make me sad but that pissed me right off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the 'academy' argument. If the school I am at now is going to be run by the parents of some of the kids in our school....well....I might just give up teaching before I even start properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that whole argument about men being ruled by their pants, it's pathetic. It may be true, but it's pathetic. Women have just as strong a need to be loved and flattered and fancied.

    And women cheat just as much as men do. It's not a gender issue, it's a moral one. Which is not to say that I disapprove of infidelity. I'd prefer it not to happen, but equally I don't see that as being a totally realistic aspiration - much the same as I don't see a blissfully happy lifelong marriage as a realistic expectation. People and situations change and it's how you deal with those changes that define the way things turn out. Coming home to your partner and telling them that you're thinking of cheating is, I'd say, a surefire way to fuck things up. Getting hideously drunk and going home with someone by mistake and (what's most important) *realising* your mistake and cleaning up your act is a much more likely situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @lilly - I can imagine with a ring newly on your finger, it would piss you right off, yes!

    @Kim - haha. Yes. I simply cannot see how anyone thinks this is a good idea.

    @Katja - agree with a lot of what you say - women are absolutely as susceptible to being unfaithful as men, and agreed that it's how you deal with it that really counts. I just find the idea that it's almost inevitable that men will cheat to be very old-fashioned and profoundly depressing. And I don't agree that being honest about it before it happens will necessarily fuck things up for good. For me, finding out afterwards would REALLY mess with my head, the fact it was going on when I thought he was at work late or whatever - I don't know how I would ever trust him or anyone else again. But I guess everyone's different. Personally I'd rather he told me he was thinking about it than told me he'd already done it. But my ideal would be that he told me he loved me more than anyone else ever and that he thinks Kate Moss pales in comparison to my Renaissance curves ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. Hold up a minute. Are you talking long-term affairs? Christ - I'm not surprised you're so het-up about all this. I would be too, if I were worrying that my partner were regularly sleeping with someone else. I was talking about a drunken snog/one-night-stand which, let's face it, is by far the more likely scenario.

    My point still stands, though, perhaps more than ever. If my partner came home telling me that he was considering having an affair, it would be such a hideous betrayal. 'By the way, darling, I'm bored of you and fancy having a bit on the side with someone else instead. What do you think about that?' You can't try to rationalise matters of the heart (or, as the case may be, loins) - it will only end badly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Katja - well, like I say, everyone's different. For me, I'd *far* rather find out before than after. I think it's totally normal to, during a relationship rocky patch, dream of starting again with someone else. But if they actually went ahead and slept with her, whether it was once or fifty times, it would really damage the trust I had for them.

    You say it would be a hideous betrayal if your husband came home and said he was considering sleeping with another woman (and I don't deny that would sting!), but would it seriously be a worse betrayal than if he came home and said he was already shagging her?!

    Either way, I hope this is hypothetical and that neither you nor I ever need to deal with a scenario along these lines. Given that I'm a million years away from getting hitched, worrying about extra-marital affairs is laughably over-cautious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the issue for me is that if he's *seriously* thinking of doing it, then he might as well go on ahead, because our relationship is clearly as good as over. All discussion would do would add humiliation to the mix, while making him feel smugly better about himself for having been so 'honest'. It's not honesty, it's selfishness.

    You're right, though - it's not likely to be an issue for me anytime soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous19:27

    Hello there splendid blogger. I'm now obliged to come out of the shadows and declare my commitment to LLFF. Especially since you make me sound like a cool friend - the truth being that was the first of my mighty three dalliances into the world of drugs. Ribena Drinker X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ribena Drinker! Hello missy! Long time no communicate in any way. How is everything? Would love to hear from you - drop me a line - first name, dot, second name at gmail. xxx

    ReplyDelete