Thursday 6 May 2010

I got the blues...

Well kids, things aren't looking too good for those of us on the left. But I tried my best, and that's all a gal can do. The nail in the coffin for me arrived early this afternoon when someone who I actually know told me, without any hint of embarrassment, that she got up prepared to vote LibDem and then, on the way to the polling station, saw no signs for them, so voted Tory. In a Tory/Labour marginal. I felt a bit like crying when I read her email. Additionally, I've been having a heated email debate with a guy in my office who is convinced that it is possible to vote Tory because you believe that the Tory party are the best party for the majority of UK citizens, whereas I'm arguing that no one could possibly believe a Tory government would benefit the majority of UK citizens, and that it is always a selfish vote. Of course, people are perfectly entitled to vote selfishly, and under a fair system, they arguably should (if everyone voted selfishly, we'd get the government that most of us wanted) but the problem is that our electoral system is not fair at the moment. If the Tories got in after we reform the voting system, then I'd be fine with it. Not ecstatic, but I'd bow to the majority. As it is, most people in the UK do not vote for the party that ends up governing us, whether it's Tory, Labour, or anyone else, and I think that's a crock of shit.

ANYWAY. It's a disappointing day, but I'm set to watch the results dribble in with a number of other people who will feel similarly disappointed. So that should help a bit. That and the VATS OF WINE I will be drinking. See you in the next government.

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be a long night. Then a v e r y long five years.

    *clinks glasses*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15:09

    Who is this person who changed their mind based on the lack of advertising? I want to tell them off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Thom, we gave her a big ol' earful last night. I doubt it'll make any difference though. Either way, Labour won in her constituency anyway, so it didn't make any difference. HA.

    ReplyDelete