Monday 7 March 2011

Inspiral Post-It

I REALLY don't want to go on about this much more, believe me, but please allow me to pass on something I found helpful on Saturday - I was sitting opposite a Jungian psychotherapist at Nessa's party, and once I'd established that he really was asking me about my therapy rather than being bored to death of having to listen to someone else talk about themselves on his night off and not pay him, I was just briefly bemoaning the fact that I felt like I had dealt with some of this stuff a few weeks ago and was just whacking into the same branches over and over again. And his analogy was as follows:

Imagine a piece of paper rolled up to resemble an ice cream cone. Something like this will do:


This cone represents the therapeutic journey. The inside of the cone is divided into vertical segments, like this:


Hm. It appears I used a different filter on Instagram for that photo. Oh well. Anyway. Each one of the vertical lines represents one of the important pillars of your life - parents, friends, love, money, career, shelter etc. etc. You start at the top of the cone, and you progress down through the cone in a circular motion, like a coin in one of those supermarket swirly charity box things. And as you roll down the inside of the cone, you hit the lines over and over again. The number of times you hit each line depends on the steepness of the gradiant that you spiral down the cone, but you're pretty much guaranteed to hit them more than once. And of course, as you get to the centre of the cone, rolling full pelt towards the chocolate at the bottom of the Cornetto, the gaps between the times you hit each line get smaller.

"So what happens when you get to the bottom?" I asked Yoda, breathlessly. He said nothing, but unrolled the paper and smiled at me.


I nodded like I understood, thinking that the flattened piece of paper looked like peace, but then I wondered if I'd had too much prosecco.

Anyway. It's 17:05 so I am sitting at my desk and I don't have to, which makes me feel like I am wasting my life in an inexcusable fashion. I'm off to frolic in this blissfully cold winter sunshine and bemoan the fact that my new wool dress which hugged me like a sexy wool glove this morning has now bagged out and is about as flattering as a shroud. I think I might send it back. Exciting times...

No comments:

Post a Comment