Thursday 10 March 2011

A Once In A Lifetime Opportunity

I have masses to say because I'm still mental and I went to see Simon Amstell live on Tuesday night and the UK's economic crisis is being really interesting and I've watched a couple of GRIPPING TED talks but what I really want to talk about is ganglions.

I have kidded myself that mine was a bit of bone for years, but I've just read about it online and apparently, as I had feared, they really are cysts YUCK YUCK YUCK a big cyst containing THICK JELLY-LIKE MATERIAL on my HAND. And apparently it really is true and not just an old wives' tale that you can get rid of them by bashing them with a big book and I'm really really tempted. So here is today's question: Faithful - has anyone ever tried this in the past 100 years, and if so, what happened? According to the website I read, the odds of it returning don't seem to be massively different whether I bash it with a book or have a surgical procedure and as a good liberal girl, I would prefer to avoid wasting state facilities if possible.

Just so you can see exactly what we're playing with, this is a photo of my hand from above:


So far, so inoffensive, right? But here is a photo of my hand taken from the side. I have formed a clawlike grasp to maximise the visibility of the lump:


So I think something needs to be done. Now the choices begin. What book should I use? I'm thinking not The Bible (too traditional). Do I use the spine or the flat side? I am left-handed, so I think I will have to employ a cyst-basher. I will need to get very, VERY drunk first. Maybe I should sell tickets and give the proceeds to the Royal Society for the Protection of Ganglion Sufferers. Would you like a ticket? More importantly, would YOU like to bash my cyst? RSVP.

3 comments:

  1. Use a hot tea bag and apply to it for as long as you can possibly stand it. Never drop a book on it.
    If it doesn't start improving in 2 days go to the doctor, could be a staph infection. Not something you want to mess with.

    Better save than sorry.
    Good Luck
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encyclopaedia Britannica. Or maybe War and Peace. I'd offer to do it, but I'm in the wrong country. Unless you can wait until June - but I'm guessing probably not ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00

    My Bro had one of these so i just asked him what he did about it.. he said he had an operation to remove it.. I asked if he had ever just "bashed it".. he said he had on many occasions but it just made it worse.. helpful?

    ReplyDelete