Wednesday 23 September 2009

Entirely unoriginal observation

You know that film with Michael Douglas, Falling Down, where he starts shooting everything due to his rage at modern life? Well, had I had my trusty semi-automatic to hand in EAT just now, I might just have begun a real-life reenactment. It's not the salespeople's fault, they're told to do it, and they do it with a smile. But please, someone, tell me how I am supposed to cope with being asked, pretty much every single day, if I want bread with that, or a drink, or any fruit? IF I WANT ANY BREAD, I'LL FREAKING WELL ASK FOR IT. I am not mute. I am not in a vegetative state. I am not so imbecillic that, while really wanting something, I am unable to get it from the large refrigerated display cabinet, and have to rely on an EAT employee to remind me that I might want a beverage. If I forget to get a beverage, I'll learn. I'll burn my mouth on their soups that are clearly heated somewhere near the surface of the sun, and I'll remember to get one next time. But the fact that the world may be coming to a point where a third party feels like they must remind me to take in fluid is terrifying. What next? Smiley women popping up in the street to remind me to urinate? People coming round pubs at 11pm telling me it's time for bed and that I should be sure to get a good night's sleep if I want to focus properly at work the next day? Text reminders from clothes shops alerting me to the fact that it is common decency to get dressed before leaving the house? I am 32 years old. I have lived on this planet for 11,738 days (thank you, Days Alive Calculator) and I have not yet become dangerously dehydrated or forgotten to eat for several days in a row. Not once. And I don't plan on starting now. But I will stop eating at EAT unless they start respecting my ability to keep up to speed with my basic human needs. Yes, that's a threat. Yes, EAT people, you should be scared. But no, I don't have a semi-automatic. Just leave me alone. Give me my soup, and let me go. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment