Friday 12 January 2007

2007: Let the job hunt begin...

Happy New Year and apologies to my loyal reader for the blog hiatus. I have been busy tutoring small children through their 8+ and 11+ Common Entrance examinations and avoiding the elephantine truth that I am looking for full time employment.

One of the principle distractions, other than work, over the festive period, was the fact that, towards the end of December, I received word about a new job as a Director's Assistant at a well-known London film production company. Although not what I'd expected to find interesting on my search for employment, the 'well-known' element was a definite attraction. I duly emailed the relevant person and made her aware of my existence; she replied and said she was away but would get in touch in early January. I spent the following three weeks planning what I would wear to my interview and doing mental dry-runs of my new commute.

Early January came and went and I heard nothing - so I emailed my contact to alert her to my continued existence. Still no reply. By this point I had butterflies in my stomach and had to admit that it was possible that the ship had sailed before the captain had even found out that I wanted a ticket. It wasn't the dread of rejection that was unbearable, but the frustration of not knowing. I was reminded of the times I have waited to hear from young men who have tickled my fancy in the past - not least my current love - an unpleasant sense that your happiness is being controlled by another. I wasn't sure my friend at the film company would appreciate being compared to a potential boyfriend, but still, if the shoe fits...

Finally I braved the phone and rang her - and, sure enough, her boss had filled the vacancy over Christmas. I kicked myself hard for not being pushy enough to contact the boss directly and then moved on.

Now I am emailing almost everyone I know to ask for full-time inspiration - sadly, it is not enough to sit here and muse. I need a regular salary, pensions, benefits, and office cameraderie as a matter of some urgency. Fortunately, tonight I am going to a pirate party and all this worry will slip away like a seal on a lubricated lilo.

No comments:

Post a Comment