Wednesday 2 January 2008

Question Time

And so it's back to the old routine, after eleven consecutive days off work, the longest I've had away from the office since my trip to Croatia and Montenegro last May. I must say, the alarm going off at 6.45am today was a fairly confusing moment for me, but all in all, it's good to be back - 2008 is full of potential in many ways and I'm excited to see what it brings.

I have been super-efficient today which is always reaffirming to the (significant) control freak portion of my persona. Sadly I was forced to reprimand my mother briefly this afternoon but I'm hoping she'll forgive my terse tones under the circumstances. Living with one's parents is always slightly risky and my experience has been fairly typical. Arriving home after a night out is akin to extreme rendition, where every last detail is squeezed out of my pulped corpse by my mother, whose soft speaking voice disguises an iron interrogation drive that could prise Mafia secrets out of a Godfather like vomit from a bulimic. Since I've bought the flat, however, her tenaciousness has leaped to new heights and she now expects to be told about every new development, however minor. Today I laughingly said, 'Mum, you can't want to know everything! It's so boring! I mean, you can't possibly want to know that I spoke to British Gas and they're going to send me a New Homeowner Pack?' But she nodded enthusiastically at me and then looked hurt and panicked as she confronted the vast number of similarly fascinating titbits she may have missed.

The sheer quantity of people to call is hilarious. How anyone without a lot of time on their hands and an unofficial PhD in Admin and Efficiency (Hons) is able to coordinate this process is beyond me. Thankfully, I am fully stocked with computers at work and home, a pad of graph paper, a lifetime's practice at writing Things To Do lists, several clear plastic wallets for important documents, a selection of pop-a-point pencils, a landline and a mobile and the patience of a Saint. And gradually, it's all starting to come together, right now, over me. Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment