Friday 30 July 2010

Meh.

So no one tells you that when you come home a bit late after a few glasses of wine and decide to change the wording - only the wording, mind - of the bit at the bottom of your blog posts that allows friends and strangers to show their approval by merely twitching their hand a fraction of an inch and applying an infinitesimal unit of pressure with their index finger, thereby putting a virtual tick in a virtual box, which translates to me as genuine psychological payment for the work I put in on these pages, NOT THAT I ONLY DO IT FOR YOU, but hey, I'd be lying if I said your praise and feedback were meaningless - so anyway, no one tells you that if you JUST CHANGE THE WORDING of that function, then it wipes all previous records of any box ticking, and you're back to zero on every single blog post since the dawn of time, with no visual sign of third party appreciation on any posts, and even if you change the wording back to how it was, the data is still lost forever and you're right back to being a loser with no boxes ticked at all, which is really quite annoying, even though only about, well, way less than one percent of the people who read this blog ever tick the boxes, which means there are either a lot of people who visit the site, read the blogs, enjoy them and then skulk off without ticking, which I think exhibits a level of laziness at which even I would balk, or there are a lot of people who do not enjoy the blogs but yet still read them, which displays a degree of stupidity and a lack of judgment that, well, I find depressing. It's not a flattering stat, but it must be true: most of you are either lazy or stupid.

Prove me wrong. Tick the damn box. Not this one in particular, but all the ones you've enjoyed over the past four years. Maybe a total change of mentality is needed. Here are your instructions: basically, tick the box unless you thought it was absolute rubbish, unless you finished it weeping with relief that it was over, unless it was the text equivalent of ocular rape. Don't view the tick as a treat. A treat would be a comment. The tick is just to say, 'Yup, read it. Well done for trying.' If you want to say something more meaningful, then comment. If you don't know what all the fuss is about, check out other people's blogs (there's a list down to the right if you need help). They're bloody littered with comments. Some of the blogs out there are so self-indulgent and miserable, they make LLFF look like... what's the opposite of self-indulgent and miserable...? Open-minded and chipper? They make LLFF look like... a Montessori teacher? But still, these people are inundated with supportive comments. I pour my heart out to you, I lay myself BARE and what do I get? Three ticks if I'm lucky. WHICH HAVE NOW BEEN DELETED. By me.

I'm so tired. Must go to bed. Anyway. I'd love to be so self-sufficient that I didn't care whether anyone was reading, but I'm not. Tick the mofoing boxes or I'll stop writing. Well, I won't. But I'll start only writing about politics. That'd learn you.

8 comments:

  1. Emily A01:56

    So I am coming out as a regular reader and fan to make sure you don't stop writing... Thrilled to see so many posts this week and loved every one of them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel H13:55

    I'm also a fan, I've been lurking here for ages (so long in fact that I'm not sure where I first discovered your blog, I think it might have been Kudocities where I've also been known to lurk). Anyway, I think your blog is great and I miss my daily fix if you don't write! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both. Means a lot. Possibly more than it should. But still, a lot. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Jane, love the blog but can't bring myself to tick the box. Perhaps if there more than one box from which to choose? Like, say, "Laughing out load", "Even better wrtten than normal today", "Feeling your pain", "Very jealous of your life and want to be you"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind comment, Chloe, thank you. The idea that anyone would want to be me clarifies to me that without any shadow of a doubt, we have never met in real life. So your comment means even more given that you are a stranger.

    Thanks for your suggestions for alternative box-wording. Having screwed with it once and wiped all past ticks, I'm afraid the labels are now fixed FOREVER. Unless I decide to remove the feature altogether at some point in the future. Which, if the current enthusiasm for box ticking doesn't skyrocket soon, might occur imminently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EDIT: Have now received word from Chloe that we are indeed friends in real life. Couldn't post your actual message, Chloe, as it mentioned an identifying detail and LLFF tries to be anonymous... But thanks again for the comments. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and read via your RSS feed, which contains so such tickbox and up until now I had no idea it existed :) from now on I will put its function to good use however. Dont stop blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello TKEP - nice to make your virtual acquaintance and thanks for reading. Will try and keep up the work.

    ReplyDelete