Thursday 30 October 2008

Love on the Northern Line

Maybe it's hormones, but yesterday, I was listening to the current Elbow album on my commute, and I had tears in my eyes twice in the first three songs. I'd never heard it before, and it just caught me unawares - the guy's incredible voice, the unexpected intervals, the gorgeous strings and instrumentation - they all combined to make my underground experience a little bit more emotional than normal.

And the lyrics. I must confess something that is unforgiveable for a writer: I normally forget to listen to lyrics. I'm all about the melody. But these words... They struck me from my very first play, and they made me vow never to get married to anyone who doesn't feel the same way about me as the writer did about the mysterious girl to whom he's singing. Which is a tall order, given that he sang "You're the only thing in any room you're ever in" and "The street is singing with my feet and the dawn gives me a shadow I know to be taller. All down to you, dear. Everything has changed" and "We kissed like we invented it. And now I know what every step is for: to lead me to your door."

Sigh. I preferred me when I was flippant.

No comments:

Post a Comment