Wednesday 4 August 2010

All the threes

Of course, when you're young you want to be old, and when you're old you want to be young, but in your early/mid thirties, having an August birthday is good because pretty much everyone you know from school and university turns the new age before you do. It's been nearly a year since my first peer turned 33 and I'm now so used to the concept that I wouldn't dream of feeling ancient. Plus I have no grey hairs, even under the dye. And minimal wrinkles. So there's lots for which to be thankful.

Not much to report as yet, but a lovely evening last night despite a disgraceful performance from Purity Spa at the Park Lane Hilton. A few months ago, I spent £75 buying a special offer voucher, entitling me and a friend to a 30 minute massage and a manicure and pedicure. They told me to allow 1.5 hours for the experience. I took Em in May for her birthday, and found they'd lost our appointment, which was a bit of a shit present. They managed to squeeze us in for a massage that was as lengthy and relaxing as being brushed past in a corridor. Then they gave my friend a manicure. To apologise for the screw-up with the bookings, they gave me another voucher to do the whole thing again another time. We booked in for yesterday evening. This time, they at least remembered we were meant to be coming. Once again, the massage was pretty cursory, and the manicure and pedicure were not remotely as described - no soaking of feet, no moisturiser, just a shape and polish with performed with slightly less skill and certainly less affection than if I'd done it myself. The entire thing was finished within 55 minutes. On the upside, we were given two plastic glasses filled with cava. Which was a highlight.

Goodness me, what a boring, self-indulgent, middle class whinge. Apologies. Feeling a bit meh today, to be honest. There's something about spending the larger portion of one's birthday sitting in a corporate environment with harsh lighting, rain gobbing down outside and passive aggressive emails in the inbox that makes one feel a bit like taking a four day nap under one's desk. Not long til dinner.

3 comments:

  1. You're so lucky. My first grey hairs appeared a couple of years ago, before I even turned 30, and eventhough I did not acknowledge their existence, they hung around and have successfully multiplied :(

    Happy birthday by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel obliged to comment, if only to get rid of the little note that says "1 people were nice enough to comment" at the bottom of the post. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. I'm getting people to post, not because they are desperate to say something, but because they are trying to correct poor grammar. Thanks anyway. And to you Kim - your red hair suits you!

    ReplyDelete