Sunday 18 February 2007

Denial - not just a river in Egypt etc. etc.

Regular readers will have noticed that this blog goes through sporadic phases where it will be updated frequently, and then enter a slightly stroppy stage when it petulantly remains unwritten. The logic behind this mercurial pattern is fairly unsurprising: I'm happy to write when I am happy, but reticent when I'm preoccupied and/or stressed.

At present, I'm in limbo - jobs are hovering inches above the proverbial table, I'm doggedly refusing to decide whether or not I want them until I know for sure that they will be offered to me, and I'm consequently inhabiting a strange state of not-knowing which is vague and unsettling - especially to one so reliant on structure, organisation and facts as I. The only practical solution, therefore, is denial. Consequently, I've blocked all thoughts of this situation out of my mind, instead spending inordinate amounts of time researching unrelated and unnecessary oddities online and reading whatever is close at hand in order to distract myself from my uncomfortable reality.

Anyone else constructing similar self-diversions could do worse than succumbing to Michel Gondry's new film, The Science of Sleep - Simon and I went to see it on Friday and it's barking mad in all the right ways. Charlotte Gainsbourg's bewitching English accent inspired me to buy her last album, 5.55, which is on as I type - she's singing about a plane crash and helping me forget my current career confusions. Hopefully the forthcoming new week will bring answers, but until then, I will drift along on this unfamiliar cloud where my future is in the control of virtual strangers, the past is distant and irrelevant, and the present is unpleasantly hazy. Suddenly the appeal of hallucinogenic drugs isn't so incomprehensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment