Tuesday 13 February 2007

When only a Pilot V5 Finepoint will do...

It's a funny old world, isn't it. Eleven hours away in Los Angeles, Robbie Williams' publicist is fielding hundreds of calls regarding his client's decision to check into drug rehab again. In the Far East, the North Koreans have agreed to start the nuclear disarmament process. Up in Leeds, police are talking to three men in connection with the murder of a 2-year-old. So much is happening, lives are falling apart and being pieced back together again - and yet, here I am, still wearing pyjamas, still unemployed, still sitting in my beloved bedroom chair, studying a page of mysterious hieroglyphics with unusual seriousness. While the rest of the world is dealing with its issues, I am learning how to use proof-reading symbols for a job interview at a publishing house tomorrow.

There's something slightly humiliating about poring over a page of strange squiggles and lines - an echo of childhood multiplication-tables-induced panic. But learning the proofreading language in 48 hours is no mean feat and unless I want to be left with no job options other than the very-well-paid but fundamentally-un-me job at the City bank or a stint at TGI Friday's, right now I need to get on and do it. This being the case, it is strange that I am being mentally dragged towards the red pen section of my local stationers' in order to find the Ultimate Copy Editor's Writing Utensil. If only 'flawless procrastination skills' were a CV talking point...

No comments:

Post a Comment