Tuesday 28 August 2007

Crossing the (bikini) line

I’m not sure whether there’s something tattooed on my inner thigh that says ‘Make ageist remarks please’ but, following my doctor’s comment about my career dead-end during a smear test, I have now been written off as over the hill while having my legs waxed.

Admittedly my beauty therapist appeared to be fresh out of kindergarten, but when I told her I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and was thus going to be spending the weekend having slumber parties with friends to distract me, she said, “Aw, that’s nice. I suppose sleepovers are fun no matter how old you are.” All at once, not only was I single but ancient and in agony as, with her novice depilating skills, my waxer-slash-toddler ripped the hairs out of my unanaesthetised flesh. It doesn’t get much more glamorous than that.

I would have retaliated with a beautifully-crafted and caustic remark concerning her limited intellect and questionable people skills but, feeling somewhat vulnerable while wearing only my underwear and holding my left leg in the air, I decided to hold my tongue as well. I later withheld my tip, tiny revenge for an imperceptible insult, but it made me feel better. Antique, alone - but refusing to endorse tactlessness in the young. At least I've still got my principles.

No comments:

Post a Comment