Friday 17 August 2007

Giant Redwood shock

I have an earache today which is weird. But probably not as weird as the word ‘earache’. Like a second hand Scrabble set or Carol Vorderman after a big night out, it seems to be missing a few consonants.

What else is news? I had tacos for dinner last night. I seem to be alive. I have a busy weekend coming up, including the party for my parents’ 40th wedding anniversary. I have my health. People seem to be obsessed with whether or not A Levels have become easier, which they patently have – end of discussion. And staggeringly, as I was brushing my teeth this morning at approximately 07:12, John Redwood said some things on Radio 4 with which I agreed. His words made me confront the possibility that – egad! – I might be compelled to vote Conservative at the next election.

I can’t believe I’ve just admitted that in writing. It’s really very unlikely, I promise. And it would be only as a reflection of the current political state in the UK – not as a reflection of my deeply-held beliefs in a fairer society for all. If none of the parties seem to be offering this, I may as well go for the one who’s going to save me money, no? It’s absolutely and undeniably selfish – but I have no faith in the Labour party and my ex-faves, the LibDems, simply aren’t up to scratch right now. Sorry Ming, you’d make a wonderful grandfather, but as leader of the LibDems I rate you as C for Could Do Better. Still, a lot can change between now and the next General Election. Hopefully an attractive alternative will present itself. But I can’t think that it would be wise to hold my breath.

Me as a Tory voter? Now that would be an anniversary present my father would really adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment