Thursday 16 August 2007

Just say ‘Yes’ – apparently

I’m still in no state to comment on my personal wellbeing. However, a story from a friend made me realise anew that things could be worse.

Her boyfriend, who is frequently loving and pleasant, has a habit of smoking illegal drugs for relaxation purposes. Unsurprisingly, my friend from work doesn’t find his habit quite so relaxing. In fact, it is a source of some considerable stress for her.

Recently, her boyfriend developed a nasty chest infection and yesterday, he reluctantly went for a check-up at the local medical clinic near his office. Predictably, the nurse asked him if he smoked. He said yes. She asked if he only smoked tobacco. He said no. After more examinations, her recommendation was (allegedly) as follows: ‘Try and cut down on the tobacco and just smoke the marijuana neat instead.’

Now, I’m not sure I believe my friend’s boyfriend’s account but he is swearing faithfully that this was her genuine advice, and really, it seems so implausible that it almost must be true. I struggle to think of something more annoying than having a boyfriend whose drug habit has been sanctioned by a trained nurse. Somehow I doubt he’ll be so reluctant to go to the medical centre in future.

What’s up with healthcare professionals at the moment? One minute they’re writing off your career dreams, the next they’re recommending illegal drugs. Soon they’ll be advocating kicking old ladies and drinking two litres of vodka before driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment