Monday 15 September 2008

Once in a lifetime

If all these financial pundits are right, today will be talked about in banking circles long after we've all hit the permanent hay. Of course, it's not my area of expertise, but Lehmans going bust was apparently not on the agenda - after the US Federal Reserve bailed out Bear Stearns earlier this year, no one thought they'd let something as big as Lehmans go under. But under it's gone - and the predicted fallout was so big that my boss got in to work at 4am today and couldn't work out how to turn on the lights on our floor. We're illuminated now, though, so I'm guessing he solved the problem.

So it's all go at work for the big guns, with a Wall Street panic bigger than anything anyone's seen in a fair while. For me, it's business as usual; not much I can do about it, other than offer everyone lots of cups of tea and try to make myself useful. Of course, if I was allowed some input, I'd tell everyone to go home and have a nice long sleep. Then when we came back, I'd give a series of lectures about why money is the root of all evil, and cap the maximum earnings of everyone at £200,000 - which I think is about the most anyone could possibly need. I'd give the rest to the government to invest in hospitals and teachers' salaries. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment