Friday 14 August 2009

A different type of class...

Much as I might like to believe otherwise, the fact is that Summer 09 is on its way out, and, steeped in that back-to-school feeling, September will shortly be upon us. Christmas is in about a week and a half. So with that in mind, I decided to investigate my possible options for self-improvement in the Autumn term. First up was hairdressing - and this is still a likely plan, but the course I like doesn't start until January 2010. So I bought a copy of Floodlight, London's part-time and evening course bible, and highlighted the ones that tickled my fancy. Here, for your edification, inspiration and possible amusement, is the list of contenders:
  • Comic Book Art for Beginners at Camberwell College of Arts
  • Human Evolution at Birkbeck
  • Lindy Hop Swing Introduction at City Lit
  • Rock and Roll Jive Dancing at Bishopsgate Institute
  • Drawing for Beginners at Camberwell College of Arts
  • Drawing Level 1 at City Lit
  • Folk and Pop Guitar for Improvers at Morley College
  • Current Affairs Part 1 at City Lit
  • Improve Your Memory at Morley College
  • Jazz Singing at City Lit
  • Tai Chi Beginners at Lambeth College
  • Antique and Modern Furniture Restoration at Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute
  • Doing Up Junk at Havering Adult College
  • Developing Your Fiction at Birkbeck
  • Short Story Writing at City Lit

I don't know what it says about me that my interests are quite so ridiculously varied, but anyone who's thinking along the 'Jane of all trades' line wouldn't be far off the mark from where I'm sitting. Why can't I just have one interest and commit, for goodness' sake? Why must I spread myself so thin? Don't answer that. I think we all know why - and for anyone who's really not sure, something about wanting to be liked, wanting to impress, wanting to fit in while wanting to stand out is probably on the money. Anyway. That's the way things are. Now to decide. What do you reckon? I was going to write that I'd promise to do the one with the most votes, but I panicked. I'm certainly doing Improve Your Memory as that's only a one-dayer and I need it more than any of the others. And Tai Chi is out as I am saving that for when I get too old for yoga. Jazz Singing... I think probably not. In fact, they all make me feel a bit panicked. But I'm young and free and this is the perfect time to start something new. Although I don't feel like doing anything because I have an as-yet-not-visible spot brewing on my chin that is so painful it hurts to sit still. I think I should be sent home early but I don't think it'll happen.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous18:29

    Developing Your Fiction at Birkbeck. Then write a novel: we'll all read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18:42

    Antique and Modern Furniture Restoration would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Antique and Modern Furniture Restoration at Hampstead Garden Suburb Institute. I've never done a formal class on this but my mom got me into it. Now, I love the search for something to refinish, just to look past what something looks like at the moment and think of ways to improve it, use it and show it off. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'm still dithering. And in fact may end up doing absolutely nothing. My evenings seem to be getting full of other things, suddenly. And the writing class I wanted to do clashed with my choir rehearsals. Pah. It's a tough life but someone has to live it.

    ReplyDelete