Thursday 13 August 2009

Oops

Well, now I've upset my mum with what I wrote yesterday. And I didn't mean to do that, really I didn't. I probably sound spoilt and ungrateful for all the sacrifices they made to put me through school and university. And for that, I apologise wholeheartedly. I know they were doing their best and I am incredibly lucky and grateful to have such loving and wonderful parents. I guess I just struggle with middle class guilt, and it's made me into an inverse snob, and I should keep schtum. But then... I do find class issues endlessly fascinating, and keeping schtum is, surely, one surefire way to perpetuate the status quo. Really all I wanted to say was that I don't like posh people who think they're better than non-posh people. Anyway. I feel better now I have got it off my chest, and I have always known that my opinions are riddled, RIDDLED with contradictions and half-baked rubbish (mmmm, half-baked...) and, let's face it, it's easy for me to say I don't want to send my kids to private school when a) I don't have any and b) I would never be able to afford it. Current fees at my ol' alma mater are £9300 a term, although you do get a £300 discount if you pay by monthly direct debit. Phew. But were I to wake up tomorrow and find myself in the possession of a toddler and a multi-million pound inheritance (the thought is strangely terrifying), I don't know what I would do. I know what I think is best for the country. But can I put my (fictional) money where my mouth is? There's only one way to find out. I better get pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment