Monday 10 December 2007

Contents too unrelated for satisfactory title

Many apologies for my four day absence from the blogosphere. I have been both busy and creatively uninspired, a combination that does not entice one towards the computer to muse wittily. If I'm totally honest, I'm not 100% sure that I am now sufficiently fired up to write the kind of post that the Faithful deserve after such an unusually long hiatus, but I am of the mind that something is better than nothing.

So here goes something.

The last few days have been carol-tastic: I had a three hour rehearsal on Saturday afternoon, followed by a concert to a packed Mayfair church on Saturday evening and another concert on Sunday night. The latter was at Cliveden - a huge stately home that was the site of the Profumo/Christine Keeler affair and is now a swanky hotel full of rich Americans. I didn't see much of the place - just the reception area and a few ground floor rooms - but the spare loo rolls were tied up with Cliveden-branded navy-blue ribbon which was vastly OTT but strangely pleasing. It did occur to me that, if you're caught short, starting a new loo roll is traumatic enough without having to undo branded bows but then again, Cliveden guests probably don't get caught short in the first place - frightfully common habit.

Now I'm back at work with a busy week ahead. I am woefully out of touch with current affairs - other than a quick skim through the online Guardian this afternoon I seem to have been either dousing myself in self-help books or revising The Twelve Days Of Christmas for the past fortnight. No time for news. One story that did catch my eye during my twenty second foray through the internet was that, since the launch of the appalling free papers in London over the past year or so, recycled rubbish has tripled on three of the major tube lines, from 3 to 9.5 tonnes per day. The three lines who reported the increase have now been fined by the tube overlords, penalised for failing to attain targets in the 'ambience' category after a recent passenger survey. The tube lines blame the increase of newspaper rubbish that, they say, is impossible to manage. So thanks to the morons who enjoy these freesheets and then leave them lying around, we'll be seeing a decrease in standards on three of London's busiest underground lines. Obviously in our capitalist world, such a commercially successful venture won't go away any time soon - but it would be nice if it wasn't going to affect those of us who are desperately trying to prevent our brains from dissolving and slipping out through our noses in the near future. Yet another reason to hate the Metro - as if we needed one.

No comments:

Post a Comment