Friday 28 December 2007

I got the key, I got the secret...

Ignoring the obvious syntactical errors in my title, the sentiment should ring out loud and clear: I have now collected the keys to my new flat/life from the over-styled estate agent who was working as part of a skeleton staff this morning and I am now, officially, a property owner. This is momentous.

Like all other massive life experiences that I have been through thus far, with the possible exception of Disneyworld, it has been nothing like I expected. For a start, the first thing I did when I got inside my new front door was burst into tears. Then I sat down and methodically wrote 'Not Known At This Address - Return To Sender' on an assortment of approximately eighty letters to an unexpected variety of recipients. Feeling a bit calmer, I made myself stand up and kiss every major wall; a workmate recommended this practice and actually, having not kissed anything much since approximately July, I did feel a close bond beginning to form. Then my parents arrived and we drank champagne.

Now it's much later. I'm back home, the rain is pounding on the Velux like gravel and the prospect of moving is dangling appealingly in my future. Sadly I don't think it will be for several weeks/months but the prospect is there, all the same, and I feel extremely fortunate.

All this in spite of the fact that, late last night, I found out thanks to Facebook that my ex is now seeing someone else and has been spending Christmas in the Cayman Islands. Such a combination of news items is not recommended at the best of times, but after several glasses of Cava the feeling of my lungs being hoovered out of body through my solar plexus was perhaps more pronounced. Sure, I don't know the full story, but to be honest, the headlines were enough. I was lucky enough to have Sara to look after me, ply me with Rescue Remedy, put me to sleep in her daughter's bed and set me on my way with Weetabix this morning.

Thus it was that entering my first flat for the first time had the slightly unexpected flavour of steely determination rather than unbridled joy - but ultimately, I'm awesome and lucky in so many ways and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment