Monday 31 December 2007

Farewell 2007

Blimey. The last few days have been a rollercoaster and suddenly it's the end of the year. Saturday night was fantastic - way, way too much alcohol in Camden with Luke and Colin, followed by a Roy Ayers gig at the Jazz Cafe - apparently he is some legend and the crowd took it all extremely seriously. Of course it's massively immature but somehow I found it difficult to take seriously the portly sixty-something black man playing the xylophone while singing Everybody Loves The Sunshine. Still, several Coronas on top of the red and white wine consumed pre-gig helped the evening along swimmingly and by the time I arrived home I could barely see.

Yesterday was hungover but I massively enjoyed hair of the dog beer in Hammersmith with Lucy and then hair of the dog wine in Earl's Court with Sarah, Joanna and Mungo. Today I arose earlier than I have for some days (8.30am) and went to the flat with my dad to measure up for my new kitchen. This seemed to go surprisingly well until I got home and realised we'd forgotten to mark the location of the boiler, an oversight which, in retrospect, seems extraordinarily unlikely. Mum and I are going to Ikea in Croydon this Friday night after work to purchase the new units - oh, the glamour.

Back to now and I'm minutes away from leaving for my New Year's Eve party. Destination: the Adelaide pub in Chalk Farm for a retro space age party. I am ridiculously smug with my outfit but will clearly break my heel on the way there or suffer some other karmic punishment and have to spend the night blushing in a corner.

It feels like the perfect time to be saying goodbye to 2007. This has been a transitional year for me, a vital twelve months that have seen some major alterations in my external and internal states. This time in 2006 I was tutoring and unsure about job options - the future was daunting in the extreme. After an annus that, at times, was pretty horribilis, I'm on my own, having single-handedly purchased a two bedroom flat, started a new career and changed direction onto a happier path of less pressure and more fun. Now it's onwards and upwards, more commuting, more interior design, more jogging, more work, more writing, more singing, more TV viewing on the new Bravia and, of course, mort gage. No new resolutions for me - still the same one I've had for the past three years, but somehow I don't think I'll be able to justify the expense of a parachute jump in the next 365 days either. So, until next time, this is Lost Looking For Fish, wishing you all an extremely happy, healthy, productive, nutritious, romantic, interesting, pleasantly scented and beneficial New Year. Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! That was a relentlessly positive and enjoyable end-of-2007 post. I hope 2008 holds all that you hope for.
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete