Wednesday 5 December 2007

Oh the times, they are a-changing

Using the title as a prompt, I'd say 20-30% of readers might think that this will be a post about Bob Dylan. Those readers will be proved incorrect. The remaining portion might have guessed that I will be talking about how things have changed in this hectic maelstrom of modernity in which we find ourselves. Those readers will be proved right. Anyone who looked at the title and thought I would be writing about something other than Bob Dylan or things changing in some respect: you need some mental assistance.

I was in a cafe (pah, can't find the e acute with enough ease to justify the effort:result ratio) on Monday with Fi. When we'd finished our drinks, accompanied by the incredible salted caramels that Fi had smuggled in from her favourite swanky chocolatier in Shepherd's Market, I lifted my right arm in the air, made a writing motion and thus signalled that we wished to have our bill. This is weird anyway because I am left-handed but always air-sign with my right hand. But what I realised with more than a hint of sadness was that this action, which is currently recognised internationally in restaurants and the like, will soon become obsolete, perhaps to be replaced by an elaborate modern mime of punching our PIN into a handheld credit card machine. If we slip up in years to come and draw our signature in the air, our children will wonder what the heck we're doing.

Gah, I'm turning into an anachronism. I feel like Stevens in The Remains of the Day. Or my dad. I need to get with the times, and fast. I'm going to make sure I listen to some Arctic Monkeys and watch at least an hour of MTV over the weekend to catch up with whatever it is that the cool kids are into these days. Additionally, if any readers have some enlightening tips, feel free to share with the group - I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs help to be hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment