Wednesday 5 November 2008

President Obama

So, it really truly happened. And in spite of all my cynicism, in spite of my deeply-held conviction that really, it's going to take a lot more than a new POTUS to change the selfishness and greed that has made our world such a mess, in spite of my concerns that Obama doesn't have the backbone to fight big business in any meaningful way, in spite of my belief that this victory says less about people's love for Obama than it does about their disappointment and/or hatred in/for Dubya - in spite of all that, I read Barack's acceptance speech online this morning and wept at my desk. I am sceptical. I am full of doubt. But that speech was really quite extraordinary - perfectly pitched, humble, powerful, gracious, optimistic and realistic. The goosebumps pricked my arms in the opening lines and did not subside until a while after I'd finished reading. For the first time in a long time, I felt proud of the 50% of me that is American. I don't think that sensation will last, but it felt rousing and emotional and once again, I wished that some degree of passion and fervour would similarly inspire the British electorate. But I fear that things will have to get a whole lot worse here before people will take the leap to a political choice that might offer genuine change. Which is profoundly depressing thought on a morning that should be full of optimism and hope. Apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment