Tuesday 2 February 2010

BFI, Blitz, Big Walk.

Apologies for yesterday, that was rubbish. I have a good excuse but you don't want to hear it, trust me. Let's just get on with the show.

I had a great weekend. Friday night, after work, I met up with Em at the BFI and we went to see Late Autumn, one of Japanese directer Ozu's last works. I can't claim to be a true Ozu fan, having only seen two of his films, but it's amazing how calming I find them. Interesting, funny, touching - and peaceful. I was saying in my gimpy film reviews book that I keep that I wonder if it's the rigidity of the social structure that I find relaxing - the behavioural rules are so embedded in the culture that there is barely any risk of anything scandalous, awkward or inappropriate happening. Not that I dream of living in a repressive society - just... it's different to real life. Escapism. Apparently even Ozu's contemporaries didn't recognise the Japan he portrays though, so I guess it was escapism even at the time it was made. Intelligent escapism. Recommended. After the film, Em and I went back home for delicious lamb kebabs and rice and homemade raita and oven-roasted cherry tomatoes and spinach and god it was delicious.

Saturday was all about lying around and getting dolled up for the Blitz party in Shoreditch on Saturday night. I did my hair in curlers and put on red lipstick and drew on a beauty spot, and knew full well that there was no way that the party would be as much fun as the getting ready. So often the case. Love being a girl at times like those. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the venue my curls had kind of spread out and I was slightly less Blitz Belle and more Queen Mum. Ah well. It was a great night, full of beautiful people in cool clothes, esp. dapper mustachioed men in uniform, and we had a lovely time drinking, looking at everyone and passing judgment. Then we went to Diner for a midnight feast and had pancakes. Yum.

Sunday was great too - I met Kate at Highgate tube and we completed the first two sections of The Capital Ring with a stop at The Three Crowns (thanks Thom) in Stoke Newington for roast beef. It was fascinating. We went along the Parkland Walk (a disused rail line), through Finsbury Park, along a beautiful canal running next to Britain's largest council estate, past a reservoir, through Clissold Park and Abney Cemetery, into Stokey, crossed over East into Walthamstow Marsh Nature Reserve, along the River Lee/Lea, down into Hackney Wick, past the Olympic site - and then hopped on a bus to Stratford and came home. The walk is brilliantly clear and easy-to-follow, and 'discovering' these near-silent green spaces hidden away makes you feel special. Plus we saw not one, but two men, within about twenty minutes of each other but clearly not connected in any way, jogging in their normal daywear - coat, jeans, leather shoes. It was absolutely extraordinary.

Now we're on day two of February and it's cold and grey outside. Laura and I were going to go to the gym but we've decided to have lunch at the pub instead. I need deep fried nourishment. Later dudes.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the parkland walk. I did that on New Years Day. The Crouch Hill entrance is just over the road from my house. I took some pictures but haven't uploaded them to picasa yet. Will share when I do. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yar, it's great. I did it a year ago on a kind-of date but it was very muddy and we started at the Finsbury Park end so it was all uphill.

    This Sunday's attempt was much better in that it was downhill and not so muddy, but once again, I didn't get a kiss. The Parkland Walk: beautiful, but rubbish for romance.

    ReplyDelete