Friday 12 February 2010

Needy much?

So there I was, enjoying a second consecutive pretty good Thursday night, when a girl sat down at our table. She had been at an adjacent one up to this point, being a bit raucous with some guys that she clearly hadn't known until that evening. We chatted to her for a minute or two, she was Australian and quite funny although possibly mental. Then later, when I was left on my own for a few minutes, she came back and started talking really fast.
"I know this seems weird, but I'm 35, right? And my two friends here are so lovely, but they're in their early twenties, and you might wonder why I'm not here with people my own age [not so much, no] but they're all MARRIED WITH BABIES, and I know it sounds desperate, but here's my card, and that's my mobile number, and if you ever want to, you know, hang out or whatever, I'm not a lesbian, I swear, I'm not gay, I'm not a psycho, I just want to be friends, you know?" I was a bit tipsy by this point, and I said,
"I hear you, and believe me, I've been there with the friends getting married and reproducing thing. But trust me, handing out your card to complete strangers in bars is not the way to forge lasting friendships. Can't you take up a hobby? Meet new people that way? Sing? Play the ukulele?"
"HA HA!" she said. "The ukulele!"
I glowered.
"Well, whatever floats your boat. Just... this [gesturing at the business card] isn't going to work."
She slunk off eventually and we didn't hear anything more from her 'til she started saying her earmuffs were the coolest thing ever to anyone who'd listen, and my competitive streak came out and I had to put mine on too, and she insisted that hers were cooler because they were stripy, which, if stripy earmuffs with matching mittens are your thing, then maybe she was on to something - but if you want an earmuff which will keep them toasty but not dominate an outfit too much, and you want to avoid looking like A PLAYSCHOOL PRESENTER, then I think a beige faux fur is the way to go. We both preferred our own. Nice when the world works out like that, isn't it.

I hope the young lady, Angelique I think she was called, is now sitting at work booking onto beginners' classes in two or three different disciplines, but I think she's probably feeling very hungover, refreshing her email every six seconds, and staring out at the miserable London greyness, wondering what people are getting up to 12,000 miles away.

4 comments:

  1. business-card lady did sound a little strange, but i don't share your disapproval of her methods. after all, if we are supposed to be able to meet our future spouses by going up to strangers in a bar saying "hi", why not meet friends that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks to commentator number one for such a fascinating addition. And to Chloe - I don't have any problem with going up to someone in a bar and saying 'Hi' but convention dictates that the 'Hi' is followed up with... something... no? She talked at me for a couple of drunken minutes and on that basis expected me to call her. In my opinion, she needs to put a bit more effort into it if she's going to get any results. At present her technique is the platonic equivalent of saying 'Do you come here often? Call me!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! (I often think I'm fascinating when I'm drunk, too... )

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Commentator #1: My favorite part is line 3.)

    ReplyDelete