Monday 24 January 2011

Apple grumble

Grumble grumble grumble iPhone stolen on Saturday night grumble it's still on, ringing and ringing, then goes through to voicemail grumble but my service provider says that even though I locked the handset with a four digit PIN, £9-worth of international calls were made on it yesterday, which could absolutely have been WAY worse but it is still annoying that it has definitely fallen into the hands of thieves - I am insured but I have a £100 excess to pay, so I had to fork out for that this morning grumble. ALSO, it turns out that the damp smell in my 'utility area' (American accent there please) wasn't a figment of my imagination, but was in fact due to the fact that my washing machine has been leaking for several weeks during the rinse cycle, and I finally had to confront the problem after water appeared in front of the machine on Friday night, and I got down on my hands and knees and looked at the area under the machine that I'd been avoiding for approx. six weeks as I was scared that the rotting smell was a dead mouse or similar and I couldn't bear to be on my hands and knees, peering into a dark area and be faced with a dead mouse, so I didn't. But then on Friday I realised it was definitely water and not a mouse, so I moved all the stuff out from the nook under the machine and all the carpet has rotted away and I had a really complex operation involving hoovers and towels and rotten washing powder boxes and coat hangers but my efforts were unsuccessful grumble and I have to get lovely Rob the plumber over which will be more money grumble grumble grumble. And ALSO I have really bad period pains and am sitting here at work with a hot water bottle clutched to my stomach grumble and my back hurts too and I feel revoltingly bloated like I've been injected all over with plutonium botox grumble and I'm really not even making up the feeling fat part, I really have gained weight, even though I was watching my eating last week I'm two pounds heavier grumble, which They Say is definitely to do with monthly water retention etc. etc. but it's still a bummer because it's not easy being careful with eating and if you do it for seven days and then gain weight at the end of it, that doesn't feel parTICularly hilarious, especially if you're already grumpy about your phone and your washing machine. AND when I was out on Saturday night, I was with a group of people, a reunion, and one of them was taking a photo of a few of us and she asked me to take off my glasses. Is this acceptable?! I was in shock. Can I say, "I don't like your jumper, it's clashing with the rest of the set-up, can you put your coat back on?" Or how about, "I really think we need to cover up that double chin, how about letting your hair down and wrapping it round your wattle as a scarf, you flabby-faced monster?" I paid extra for non-relective lenses, before you ask, so it wasn't that. And the woman who asked me is in her seventies and wears her hair in a bob, and the arms of her glasses go through the sides of the bob about an inch back from the front of her hair but I WOULDN'T ASK HER TO TAKE THEM OFF FOR MY PHOTO. What is the world coming to? Grumble.

But on the upside I had a really fun weekend. On Saturday afternoon I saw the extraordinary Black Swan, which was unquestionably weird and unexpected and laughable at times, but afterwards I realised that if you took out all the weird bits and made it more conventional, it would lose almost everything that made it so captivating. Natalie Portman, who I've been in love with since Leon and obsessed with since the double whammy of Everyone Says I Love You and Mars Attacks!, is exceptional. As I'm sure everyone else has said, it's the performance of her career and she deserves every accolade in the Bumper Book of Accolades - there's not a scene she's not in, she's utterly spell-binding throughout, managing to make a obsessive, ruthless, miserable and ambitious character seem sympathetic and pitiable, and if she doesn't have an Oscar-shaped doorstop in a few months it'll be an outrage. The movie-going experience was additionally memorable as it was the first time I have ever been shushed during a film. Kate and I were next to two French ladies, and at one point I struggled to understand something Vincent Cassel's character had said. "What was that?" I whispered to Kate, who was sitting on my right. "SHHHH!" responded the woman on my left. I was agog. If I'd been talking throughout, that would be one thing, but I'd been sitting like a Henry Moore, and had even shushed Kate when she'd been crackling her packet of Love Hearts during the opening scenes. I almost lost track of the plot, such was my confusion. Maybe Intolerant French Woman had thought I was to blame for the sweets and the whispered question. It is the only possible explanation. Being shushed for a primary offence is too vexing.

Now I am back at work feeling confused as I was up til 4am on Saturday night and then asleep on my sofa by 7.30pm yesterday, so today I feel like I'm on GMT -5 and GMT +8 at the same time. All terribly confusing. Maybe I have slipped into The Matrix without realising it. I am certainly a bit wobbly of foot today as moments ago I accidentally fell onto a Giant Quality Street Caramel Swirl and ate it before I could realise what was happening. I am putting Inadvertent Ingestion down on my Food Log. Tonight I have a 90 minute Introduction to Climbing session in Swiss Cottage and feel like going about as much as I feel like taking off all my clothes and walking onto the trading floor to sing Ooh! Ah! Just A Little Bit. The thought of even putting on sports kit makes me feel a bit wrong, let alone hanging from a rubberised nook while a group of strangers get to enjoy that uniquely sexy view of me - My Bum From Below. There's a gag about menstrual cramp(on)s somewhere but I'm too weak to spot it. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous09:56

    I have loved Natalie Portman since Leon too. And Jean Reno a bit too. Can't wait to see Black Swan. The French are very funny movie watchers.

    Rock climbing is one of the best sports ever. Like running, it's all about just you and your body. Controlling it. Pacing it. Except rock climbing has a tiny bit of fear factor. Hope you enjoy.

    That person who asked you to remove your glasses is... just rude. Don't I've ever been in a group shot where someone has had to be 'censored'.

    Here is a Spotify playlist I made for you. It's happy-ish BBC Radio 2 style music. Enjoy!
    Apple Grumble and Flustered

    ReplyDelete