Tuesday 18 September 2007

No more pepperoni, thanks – I’m full

So, another day over, tens of pounds earned and into the kitty to contribute to the nest egg which will, all being well, help me buy a tiny nest of my own in ’08. Although stupid Northern Rock are causing problems – unless the economy allows me to get several multiples (approx. 30) of my salary when I apply for a mortgage, I’m as likely to be able to find a flat as build one single-handedly over a sunny weekend.

In other news: I am staggered to admit that I have read a book by Paul McKenna. More than that, I have listened to the accompanying CD, although I will concede that I did drop off halfway through and 50% of his dramatically oscillating stereo vocals were lost on me because my left speaker was out of operation. The title of these masterworks? I Can Make You Thin, which I started reading last night when I found it on the sofa, and found so compelling that I am now following its advice to the letter.

The principle seems to be that the only way for us to become permanently slim is to change our eating habits to match those of a thin person’s. Thin people don’t spend all day fantasising about malt loaf and swiss roll and ham on the bone, get to mealtimes and wolf their food down like deprived beasts, because for them, nothing is forbidden. As far as they’re concerned, they can eat whatever they want, whenever they want it. The difference is, thin people don’t eat that much. When they’re hungry, they eat what they fancy. When they’re full, they stop. Sounds obvious, but for a lifetime dieter, it’s up there with The Da Vinci Code when it comes to unlikely prospects. Theoretically, McKenna claims I can eat pizza, chocolate and doughnuts every day as long as I only eat when I’m hungry, stop when I’m full and appreciate every mouthful. Apparently when nothing is forbidden, the desire for junk food lessens dramatically. It’s no exaggeration to say that I’m more sceptical about that than I am about the existence of an afterlife. But the logic is undeniably there and even though I’m not feeling miserable about my weight right now, I have jumped on the bandwagon with both feet anyway, just to see what happens. Paul reckons we’ll start to see a difference in two weeks. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment