Tuesday 22 January 2008

End of an Era

As if there weren't already enough significant changes happening in my life, I have recently learned that the company for whom I toil is banning Facebook. Apparently there were 400,000 hits to the site from the London office in the two week period before Christmas. This is put into perspective by the information that there are approximately 1000 employees at the London office. Even if all of them were Facebook users, that would be 4000 hits each in a fortnight, or 400 per day, per employee. But not nearly all of those 1000 employees are Facebookers. I'd think a more realistic estimate would be that about a quarter of us have profiles. If I'm right, that would suggest that those of us who are fans of the site were refreshing our page around 1600 times per day.

Now, I know I've had quiet days since I started here. And yes, I was fond of whiling away a few idle minutes looking at total strangers' wedding photos. But 1600 page views in one day? Never, even at my most bored, could I have accumulated a total like that. Besides, lately things have been a little busier for me. Not today, admittedly, but in general. So just for the record: it wasn't me. And a note for the Human Resources department: there are some seriously underused employees knocking around this building.

In other news, I have just received the freeholders' approval of my building plans and am about to rocket through the roof with excitement. Even the caveat that I have to install an unsightly firedoor in my sitting room isn't enough to dent my buoyancy. Now all I have to do is pay for it. Well, and paint the entire thing. And move my thirteen metric tons of possessions across South London. But I laugh in the face of such minor concerns. Ha!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous22:58

    Erm, far it be from me to be a maths nerd, but I think you've got your calculations a bit, wel, wrong. 400,000 hits over a fortnight between 1000 people is a much more manageable 28.6 hits per person per day.

    That said, if only a quarter of you have accounts, you're still workshy fops who refresh 100 times a day every day (including weekends) for two weeks.

    Now, I'm back to mathematical pedant's corner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. OK, I was wrong. Really quite staggeringly so. But I was working on the assumption that out of that fortnight, we weren't working Saturdays or Sundays. So it works out at 160 hits a day, not 1600. Fairly embarrassing.

    Still, at least I can spell 'well'.

    ;)

    Big love from LostLookingForFish xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous02:32

    Ouch. It's a fair point. I did actually notice it, but couldn't work out a way to edit it... clearly the best solution would have been to read my own words more carefully before submitting.

    Of course, it's arguable that missing one 'l' is less of an error than the original maths muck-up, but that would just be picky...

    Big love from a Brit Out Of Water x

    ReplyDelete