Tuesday 5 February 2008

I'm not complaining, but...

I know I'm lucky. Less than a year after I started my job, I'm a home-owner. But this limbo period is driving me slightly nuts. I've owned the flat since 27 December; six weeks later, I'm yet to spend a single night there. The builder is starting on Friday and will take three further weeks - but even then it's not over as I'll still have more painting, carpet laying and physical moving to do. In the meantime, I'm absolutely shattered as my sleep quality has plummeted to the point where all I seem to do is doze lightly for six hours while having bizarre and disturbing dreams, which hardly seems worth the effort. The last holiday I went on was in May and we had something like four sunny days out of fourteen. I had a trip to Lanzarote booked in September but that didn't materialise. And now, thanks to the 'luxury' of home-ownership, I will now never be able to afford a holiday again. OK, I am complaining. Just pigeonhole me next to those people who preface every single remark they make with 'I'm not being funny, but...' and then continue to say something that is so mundane that all living organisms for miles around pass out through passive boredom.

Don't get me wrong, there is much to celebrate in my existence. Ooh blimey, the trading floor is getting shouty, what's going on? [Cranes neck] None the wiser. Will check the Guardian online. Nope, still nothing on the news sites. [Minutes later, Twix in hand] OK, I just asked Joe who kindly explained that some monthly Industry/Manufacturing number has just been released in the States and it's massively massively lower than predicted. All the graphs on his screens looked like cliff edges. Clearly the US is in an even bigger financial mess than expected. Will this impact on Super Tuesday? Or my mortgage repayments? Apparently this number came out an hour earlier than expected because it was going to be leaked - so you're getting this hot off the press. Maybe I'll be made redundant and then I can sneak in a quick holiday before I have to face up to penury.

No comments:

Post a Comment