Friday 27 February 2009

Big love for the Big Smoke

So today was the first day of Spring. Maybe not officially. But in my head, it was. And to celebrate, I went out for a run along the river. I wore my iPod to block out any offensive remarks about the dimensions of my buttocks and scampered from the City, over Blackfriars Bridge, along the South Bank, across London Bridge and back to the office. And good god it was beautiful. Passing St Paul's, I let out an involuntary sigh of appreciation - the dome against the clear blue of the sky, the gilt glinting in the sun - it was spectacular. Then this afternoon, a girl wrote on an internet forum that she is leaving the city to move back up north; she was asking for things one shouldn't miss during their time in London. And I sat at my desk, thinking of all the things I would want to do if I only had one day in London. I tried to imagine what I would do if I was leaving here forever and never coming back. And before I knew it, I had tears in my eyes. Probably 95% caused by the amount of wine I drank at book club last night, but still. I freaking love this city. That's it, really. Now watch the panda again.

No comments:

Post a Comment