Tuesday 6 March 2007

The Wait Is Over

Despite efforts to remain fairly anonymous - and apologies to anyone who is bitterly disappointed that this isn't being typed by an intellectually advanced bottlenosed whale - I now have a sneaking suspicion that my future bosses may have found this blog and have been reading it.

Only a few minutes after I posted my Anti-Ode to Being Housebound yesterday afternoon, I received a phonecall from my new employers, during which I was informed that I'd passed my preliminary checks and would be welcome to start on Wednesday 7th March. Aware of my own irritation with my stationary status, I readily agreed and hung up the phone.

I had hoped that delirium would hit the moment I finally received an end date to this much-bemoaned boredom, but instead, as predicted, I was gripped by an instant and forceful panic, along with an immediate yearning for my weary indolence of just moments earlier. How could I have been so ungrateful for my structureless existence? The inaudible ticking of my computer's desktop clock became deafening - the final precious hours until my first commute were fast dissolving and I needed to appreciate every last second of freedom.

And what have I done in the 24 hours since then? Spent time reading in front of a log fire, gone for a long walk, seen an exhibition, revelled in my duvet or watched a film in the morning? No. I have been irritatingly sensible and have spent my time clearing a backlog of admin: buying advance train tickets for an Easter weekend jaunt, reading up on my new employers and trying and failing to purchase an advance Oyster travelcard update online. However, thankfully I have not been entirely practical and am pleased to announce that over the course of the last few minutes I have revelled in my last weekday mid-afternoon snooze for the foreseeable future. My next post will be as an employee. Brings tears to my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment