Monday 12 March 2007

It’s all about the money… for now

It was inevitable that some infectious commuter would spread some disgusting virus to me before long, with my immune system weakened by years of working from home and only rare interactions with the populace at large. The fact that my contraction of a sore throat and impending cold has been combined with the first Monday of my first full week in full-time employment seems a little harsh, however. It is mid-afternoon and I am flagging with the committed skills of a semaphore addict.

Office work is just as I remembered it, only now with less celebrities and more need for accuracy. I am still finding it hard to believe that this is my new life – not merely a brief jaunt into a strange netherworld – and that I will be here, doing this or something pretty similar, for the next few months, perhaps even for years. I’ve long longed for increased financial stability but now it’s been handed to me, the restrictive sensation of a predictable future is looming large. However, payday is in a week and a half and it is possible that my ability to cope with any monotony could increase slightly as a consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment