Friday 30 March 2007

Parlez-vous business?

Several days of doing next-to-nothing have taken their toll and despite the laughable amounts of time I’ve had on my hands since last week, I have not felt inspired towards any sort of creativity – not even a trip to Legoland nudged me towards a blog entry, although this event may have to be recorded for posterity at a later date. Instead of entertaining the single-figured masses with my wry brand of verbose sarcasm, I have spent my time browsing online and taking training courses with the hope that I will eventually be able to understand an entire sentence spoken by one of the City gents and/or ladies.

At present my learning is at a level similar to that of my ability to speak French. When things are written down or spoken slowly, as if to a deaf aunt or determined labrador, I am able to translate unfamiliar phrases and terminology (eg. ‘low yield bonds’ or ‘sinking funds’) back into a language I understand and no-one is able to monitor the sluggishness of this process. However, as in France, when anyone in the office speaks to me at a normal pace about the financial sphere, their strange vocabulary blurs into a foreign mess and I am unable to do anything beyond registering that a) I have heard these words before and b) I should know what they mean but c) I do not.

Maybe one day I’ll be bilingual but for now I am reduced to hiding behind my computer screen and consoling myself with the fact that it’s the weekend in three minutes. Although I do have to go to the gym straight after work so consider that weekend commencement postponed until approx. 6.30pm. The treadmill. Pah. Liposuction looking increasingly appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment