Friday 26 October 2007

An unexpected letter

Dear Miss M,

Thank you for your letter. I was very sorry that your father had hurt his tooth on a stone found in his Tesco Sultanas. I know how upsetting this must have been.

I'd like to assure you that we take health and well being of our customers very seriously. We've procedures in place to prevent anything getting into our products that shouldn't be there. I don't know why this happened, however, I've now told our suppliers about this.

I'm very sorry this has happened and have enclosed a £20.00 Tesco Moneycard with my compliments.

Thank you for letting us know about this.

Yours sincerely,
Elaine Macdonald

My father says he is disappointed by Tesco's offering but I have pointed out that if he'd really wanted several hundred pounds, he should have written the complaint letter himself.

My reaction upon reading the missive was to feel intense guilt and pity for Elaine. Then I remembered that I spent yesterday morning telephoning a European Hilton, where my boss had recently stayed, and asking the housekeeping department whether they had found a protein shake in the minibar which had been accidentally left there. I felt exceptionally lucky to be able to approach this situation with the superior experience I have gained through both of my degrees. Miraculously, when I phoned back Pilar from the housekeeping department a few hours later, I found that they had indeed managed to retrieve the shake and that they are keeping it cool until my boss next returns to the hotel. When I reflect on this and the other crucial events that make up my day, suddenly Elaine and I don't seem so many worlds apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment