Friday 30 October 2009

Cherries and June [needs work]

This advertising campaign for Calendar Girls has been upsetting me. June Brown, aka Dot Cotton, covered in cherry bakewells, aged 82, is not an image that would get me rushing to buy tickets for a West End show. And much as a despise the ageism prevalent in our media, well... it's just a lot, isn't it? I think what I find particularly disturbing is the level surface that appears to be her chest, which made me first wonder if it was just her head stuck on a mannequin's body and then made me consider the possibility that she'd had a double mastectomy, which would certainly be a brave concept for an octogenarian photo shoot, but possibly not quite suitable for cheery family fun at the theatre... In my news, the spot went down but not quite enough. And the date was fun but not quite enough. This afternoon, I have goosebumps and I'm very tired. And that, I believe, is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment