Thursday 10 June 2010

Serpentine update

My dad used to be fond of drawing optical illusions to trick me: a box bisected by a diagonal spotted band was a giraffe walking past a window; two concentric circles with short lines extending at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock was a Mexican on a bicycle. And I always enjoyed the opening page of my mum's old copy of The Little Prince, where a battered old brown hat was revealed, by cross section, to be a snake who had swallowed an elephant.

Today, I have revisited that timeless illustration to show another, far more battered hat. Which is, in fact, me inside the snake. In my piece of Post-It Note artwork, he has swallowed me head first. The other lumps and bumps are my boobs, my tummy, my knees and my feet. In real life, I haven't been swallowed quite yet. But he is definitely making his stealthy, silent approach, and is limbering up his jaw dislocation skills in preparation for a full engulfment. I am determined to run before he can get me, but I'm not promising anything. Fucking depression. And fucking shit fucking English summer weather.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous18:12

    I used to love this very picture... it brings back lots of memories. Keep running from that snake (he's approaching me fast too) and here's praying for some sun. In the meantime, have you got a lumie light? They help a little bit. From Kathryn from the Politics course x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you're lovely. Thanks Kathryn. I haven't tried lumie lights. My friend has a light for SAD that it about the size of a chest of drawers and, shit though depression is, I don't think my houseproud nature could handle such an eyesore... However... if you really think they make a difference... I guess anything's worth a go innit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous09:07

    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME/

    The headline is "brighter week ahead"

    hooray xb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nonexistentgod I hope you're right. x

    ReplyDelete