Friday 15 October 2010

Baseless concerns

About two months ago I received a standard heads-up email from HR saying a new guy was starting at work, and when I saw his name, I realised that I knew him. We were part of the same extended social circle a long time ago, and when I was 17 I spent an afternoon or two sunbathing around his parents' pool in south west London. How odd, I thought. It's a small world.

So when he started, I sent him an email saying 'Remember me?' His desk is only fifteen metres from my office door, but I chose to send him an email not only because I am sometimes a bit shy (100% implausible but 100% true) but also because being greeted at your desk, surrounded by new colleagues, by a girl you may or may not remember from around 15 years ago doesn't sound like my idea of fun. So I sent the email, and he replied and said 'Yes, what the hell are you doing here?' and I told him and that was it.

And then yesterday, after he'd worked here for six weeks, I finally bumped into him in the vending area while I was getting a glass of milk to drink alongside my second piece of Laura's Marks & Spencer's chocolate birthday cake. And instead of saying 'How are you getting on?' or 'What's new?', the first thing I said to a guy I hadn't seen for 15 years, a guy who I SWEAR I do not fancy (and I know this because my friend still knows him and has told me enough about him for me to know for sure) was 'Oh god, how embarrassing, you've caught me on a day when I'm not wearing any make-up.'

I mean.

The catalogue of things which are annoying about that statement is tragic:

a) I very rarely wear make-up at work, so I don't know who I was trying to kid.
b) I do not fancy him, so why do I care whether he thinks I'm rough or not? I could have been naked except for an immaculate Hitler moustache and I still shouldn't have been self conscious about my appearance in front of him.
c) There is absolutely no WAY that a boy would hear a girl say that and not think that she does then fancy him.
d) Even if I'd thought I might fancy him at some undisclosed point in the future, that would have been up there in the Top 10 list of things not to Tourette's-reveal on first meeting him.
e) The fact that I'm even slightly annoyed about it will make everyone who reads this convinced that, in a Gertrude protesting too much fashion, I do actually really fancy him, which I really don't.

In short: I am a dick.

What was good, however, was that last night I had a vivid, VIVID dream about being seriously, morbidly, twice-as-big-as-Vanessa-Feltz-at-her-biggest, needs-a-winch-to-get-out-of-bed fat. My mum was telling me that I was disgusting and needed to do something about it, and I was crying and saying, 'How can you be so horrible and judge me like this?' but secretly knowing she was right and hating myself. And then I woke up and got dressed and looked in the mirror and comparitively, I am like the thinnest person in the history of the world, basically like Kate Moss but fractionally facially less pretty, so I'm off to have some garlic bread with cheese.

2 comments:

  1. The remedy, of course, is to wear inch-think clown makeup on Monday and then bump into him and go "Phew - wasn't going to let you catch me without it twice!" ;-)

    p.s. Wasn't Gertrude the one that was protesting that someone else was protesting too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. You're absolutely right of course. But actually, even if I'd said the Player Queen rather than Gertrude, a) it would have been a much less funny sentence and b) I still would have been wildly inaccurate - see here:

    http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/lady-doth-protest-too-much-methinks

    Once again, every day's a school day. Muchos gracias Ed.

    I won't, however, be taking you up on your make-up advice. Thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete