Thursday 28 October 2010

View from the near bottom

Maybe I've reached the limits of what I can blog about. It's all kicking off in my head - but perhaps I shouldn't have tried to type it. I don't think I can explain what I'm going through without trivialising it or misrepresenting it. Everything I wrote yesterday was true, but it's not the whole story, and what I've realised is that, by attempting to articulate what's wrong, it becomes bitesize and measurable, and the gulf between what you've packaged for others' consumption versus the total pus-filled mess that you're feeling inside is too large to cross.

I've tried in the past to explain to friends what I am feeling, and despite their best efforts to empathise or help change my warped, over-negative perspectives, I just end up feeling worse. They look at you with their heads on one side, and I can hear them thinking, 'You don't deserve my sympathy. This is ridiculous, you're absolutely fine, stop complaining!' And I think, 'You're right, you're right, I know you're right, I should be feeling fine,' but inside I'm thinking, 'You ungrateful bitch - you are so lucky but you're wasting your life feeling awful. Pull yourself together.'

I'm trying.

(Yes, yes, I know, trying in both senses - excuse me while I don my custom-designed abdominal support to prevent my sides from taking leave of each other).

In a final attempt to clarify: there's the surface problem, detailed yesterday, i.e. the fairly common what-am-I-doing-here? existential crisis, where I feel unfulfilled and like I'm wasting my life. I do fear failure and I do worry that I should be achieving more with my life - just like a lot of people. But (hopefully unlike the vast majority of you) I also criticise Every Single Thing that I do. Every outfit I wear, every haircut I have, every hobby I'm a part of, every meal I order, my handwriting, my face, my bra size, my feet, my voice (speaking and singing, for different reasons), my intellect, my desires, every boyfriend I go out with, every job I get, every decision I make, the trips I take, the parties I host, the food I cook, the presents I buy, my posture, my time-keeping, my ukulele-playing, my photographs, this blog - none of my achievements are ever, EVER good enough. Every single minute, I am criticising myself and pointing out what I should be doing that would be an improvement on what I'm actually doing.

Write something hilarious? You're still overweight. Make a friend smile? You're still single. Spark the interest of an attractive man? It won't last. Say something intelligent? The gaps in your knowledge are stratospheric, don't feel pleased with yourself for a nanosecond - you are not a contender for anything. I'm left feeling as though everything I touch turns to insignificance and that I have to invent Facebook or cause a food revolution to be justify my place on earth, all the while knowing full well that whatever goals I attain, as soon as I get them, they'll be meaningless too, because nothing I do is ever good enough.

Wherever I go, there I am.

There'd be no point moving to the country - I'd still beat up on myself every waking moment. And sincere thanks to the other commenter who told me to look at the positives. You are 100% right - and I do try, I promise. However, as every depressive knows, one of the worst things about depression is how self-indulgent and guilty we feel for being anything other than slavishly grateful. We know we have strengths, we know how lucky we are, we know that we can walk and talk and live and breathe and that it could be so much worse - but yet we still feel constant mental pain. It's not rational - it's an illness, a curse, a mindset, a plague.

I said to my therapist last night, 'Don't you listen to people like me and just think, SHUT UP?' and she solemnly said, 'I never think that.' And I thought, 'Wow. You're a saint.' Because I think that all the time about myself. Not that I'm a saint. That I should shut up. Every single day I show myself the countless positives about my life and thank my lucky stars that I have a roof over my head and employment and a wonderful family and such gorgeous friends - but underneath it all, there's a voice that looks at everything I do, and says, over and over again, "Jane? Are you listening to me? I have something to say. Are you ready? Here it is. You are a failure."

The good news? As noted in the title, I'm not quite at the bottom, because I still wholeheartedly believe that it's possible to change the habits of a lifetime. The only way is up and I'm pretty confident that I'll get there. It takes a lot of work to confront these things - it's not easy nor particularly pleasant, but with the right combination of therapy, medication, my gorgeous parents and my (as discussed) fantastically fortunate life, I am sure I will get better in time. Bear with me, Faithful. This too shall pass.

Right! That was fun, wasn't it?! I'm off to re-read Dr. Cantopher.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous15:53

    Are you a Virgo?

    You sound like a Virgo.

    Um...I would say the way to hit bottom, I mean real rock bottom, is to realize there is no point to life. It is meaningless. It is full of suffering. And struggle. And failure. And rejection. And then we die!!!!

    Life is shit. Face that. Accept it.

    And then realize that seeing as life is so terrible, so full of suffering, so shit, you might as well be nice to yourself while you're here (and to other people too, if you want).

    Do you think anyone has any idea about the meaning of life? We're all in the dark. What the hell does it matter if one of your friends is having lunch with A listers at the Wolsley, wherever that is? Do you think thats meaningful? It couldn't be less meaningful. Hes still going to die. And in ten years or so, he will be forgotten. And so will you.

    Nothing you can do with your life will mean you are remembered for more than, say, 50 years maximum. Not a single one of your friends will be remembered in 100 years time. Not one of them. So stop struggling to have a meaningful or significant life, and accept that it is meaningless.

    For some reason you are here on the planet, for a few years. Don't worry, it will be over soon.

    In the meantime, stop freaking out, and try to enjoy your time on this hellish planet until the whole sorry farce is thankfully over.

    Life is so awful, so terrible, so shit, that I don't see why you should add to the unavoidable suffering you will face by beating yourself up and being mean to yourself. That seems unnecessarily masochistic. What...life isn't shit enough that you have to add to its shitness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those rays of sunshine, Anon.

    I agree with much of what you have written about life having very little enduring meaning. But how, O Wise One, do you suggest I suddenly start enjoying my time on this planet? Because I've tried.

    Sure, I "might as well be nice to myself" but I guess you haven't quite understood what I'm saying about the negativity. It's not a choice. It's not a question of saying "Oh! Silly me! I should stop with all this over-critical bunkum, flick the happy switch and just be ENJOY MYSELF! Why didn't I work that one out before?!"

    I do a lot of things that should make me happy. I have everything I could possibly need and yet I cannot seem to stop focusing on the negatives.

    On the other hand, there are people out there who have a fraction of the advantages that I've been given, whose attitude is one of deep joy and sincere gratitude.

    Life is what you make it, and for some highly irritating reason, I tend to make myself miserable by constantly focusing on what could be better.

    I know there are people out there who, despite the fact that we will all die and be forgotten, are still managing to enjoy their time on Earth without staring at their own inadequacies every moment. I'd love to join their number.

    And no, I'm not a Virgo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16:24

    Seriously...Anon...you need to open your eyes. Life isn't shit until you are bed ridden and unable to move, or communicate...Then life is shit.

    If you truely believe life what you've written, you need to spend a little time evaluating how lucky you really are you selfish, ungrateful son of a b**ch.

    Jane, I really hope you feel better soon, you don't deserve to feel like this and I hope so much that you start to find away around this. Life is great really. Without wanting to sound like another preacher, please stop criticising yourself because you've got so much going for you.

    Got my fingers crossed for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anon mark 2 - thanks for the support. Have been watching these hiccupping kittens on Popbitch, they've helped a bit:

    http://www.popbitch.com/home/2010/10/28/the-incredible-fainting-goat-kittens/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous18:50

    I blame X Factor!

    Seriously though, have you tried CBT?

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could get a puppy. That's what I'm planning on doing. Puppys ease pain. It's science.

    And just to second the motion....life is not always shit. In fact most of the time it's ace. I hope you find the dial soon and are able to tune out some of the bullshit white noise that really isn't important........and come and visit my puppy :-)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous20:38

    OK, I'm sorry, I take it back. Life isn't totally shit. I quite enjoy it most of the time.

    However, we DO die, and 99% of us WILL be forgotten within a few years of our death, so there's no point in beating yourself up about not having a 'significant life', because it's just as significant as anyone else's...that was my point, which I perhaps made rather over-dramatically.

    It sounds to me like you understand that its your own thinking thats causing a lot of your suffering. For example:

    1) you compare yourself to others, and perceive their lives to be perfect, and yours to be worthless.

    2) you think like a perfectionist. you demand impossible standards of yourself.

    3) you think you MUST meet external standards of success, otherwise you dont deserve to be happy.

    And others. All this you know. So the question is, can you control your thoughts and perspective? Can you change them?

    I personally think, yes you can, but these thoughts and perspectives are habitual. Theyre deeply ingrained, because you've thought like that for a long time, and these ways of thinking were probably reinforced by your upbringing, school etc (were you at a neurotic, perfectionist school?)

    Habits are somewhat involuntary. We don't choose to smoke exactly. Its an addiction, a sickness, a plague, as you put it.

    But we can stop. Its a question of getting in new habits. That means:

    1) becoming aware of what our thinking style is, and how that thinking style fucks us up. therapy is good for this, so is a thought journal or...a blog!

    2) challenging that thought style. understanding that this way of thinking, this belief is causing us suffering, and challenging it.

    3) creating new habits, new habitual beliefs and ways of thinking, by rehearsing new ways of thinking over and over. these new ways of thinking eventually become second nature. they become automatic.

    Anyway, sorry again if my first response was overly negative. Just to reaffirm, I do love life, and Im glad Im alive. I used to be very depressed and Im not anymore, and life is good and shiny and beautiful. Just sometimes you have to face and accept the shitness in order to move forward and enjoy life.

    Puppies are also good.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year I studied existentialism in philosophy, and generally just covered issues like the meaning of life and such. As we studied the topics I just couldnt shake feeling absolutely tiny, a small dot in the 'grand scheme of things'. I thought about how huge space must be and how tiny our little planet is relative to that, and how tiny I am in comparison. Then i thought about how many billions of human beings have been alive before me and how many will live after me.. And I began to think of how little effect I have on the world, and even how much effect typically successful people have on the world, and it seemed negligible. It made me feel pretty low..

    And then I began to think, if we have such a small effect on the world, maybe it's not about that. Maybe we're not alive to do grand important things or to make a difference to people's lives in some way. I think ultimitely we just need to look at our lives subjectively and live them in our own bubble with the people we care about inside. We're only here for x amount of years and chances are most of us won't make any kind of 'lasting impression' with regards to the whole of the world, and even if we do, I mean.. even the people who invented Facebook will be forgotten at some point in the future.

    I'm just trying to say don't feel too pressured to be amazing all the time, in the long term it really doesn't matter. Most people die overweight and dissatisfied at least a little. I don't know.. Just.. thinking in that way helped me to not feel so lost at the time, and I thought it may help a little :) i dont mean to make it sound like life is pointless.. I think the opposite, in fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. After hurriedly getting down what I wanted to say before I forgot it, I realise anon has covered a similar (but not identical) point. Apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:07

    I know it's not going to be easy to get there but I hope you're feeling happier soon. In the mean time, here are some Alpacas with post punk hair

    http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/alpacas-with-post-punk-hair

    ReplyDelete