Thursday 22 November 2007

Toilet humour?

Although I do get embarrassed occasionally, I am not the type of gal who tends to blush at the drop of a hat/trouser. But recently, I came across a social group on Facebook which made my cheeks redden and my skin prickle with shame. The group is called 'I say loo not toilet' and its description reads as follows:

'This is for those of you who have just about had enough of the social excrement who befoul perfectly pleasant conversation by requesting the use of our 'toilet'. Too long have we sat in silence, inwardly thanking our parents for paying for our education, while these slaves to vulgarity continue living as if they belong on our sofas. And it is a sofa, not a settee. Time has come to stand up to the common man and reclaim our place as employers of these underclasses rather than colleagues. END THE MADNESS!'

I'd love to pretend that they're joking, but I know they're not. These misguided morons really do think less of people because they choose to use a different term for the WC. What's worse, this is not a tiny, insignificant minority: the group currently has 6,957 members.

This kind of ignorance is disgusting and absurd - especially given that, as I've been told, the divide between loo and toilet stems back several decades to a time when the upper classes went wildly anti-French and all cross-channel vocab was shunned - hence the snobs' hatred for serviette and preference for napkin. An abbreviated list of Non-U terminology, as constructed by Nancy Mitford, can be found on Wikipedia - but it should be prefaced by a cringe warning. It is narrow-minded idiocy; what's scary is that something seemingly so dated is clearly still flourishing today. Sometimes I despair. In fact, who am I kidding: always I despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment