Wednesday 14 November 2007

Unrelated points

I am going to Penzance this weekend and could not be much more excited about it if I tried.

Zen doesn't work. I lay in bed at 00:23 last night repeating to myself that tomorrow was an illusion but I couldn't stop worrying about what to pack for Penzance. I fixated on waterproof trousers which wasn't helpful.

Today I have been organising an appointment to have my boss' garage door motorised. And I didn't go to the gym.

I think I have developed an addiction to the humble Twix. But since I'm still losing weight - or, at least, as Paul McKenna won't let me weigh myself, since my clothes are still getting looser - I'm not really overly concerned.

I am reading My Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan and thoroughly recommend it. Thanks to Fi for the tip-off. It's an incredible portrait of apartheid written by the descendent of one of the system's creators - utterly moving, honest, raw, real and still frighteningly plausible.

Yesterday evening I was told that if you sit with your legs crossed you're far more likely to get varicose veins. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Susie, who told me, said that when she was about 14, her schoolfriend's mum had to have an operation on her legs and her doctor told her the problem veins had been massively exacerbated by a buildup of pressure caused by her knee crossing habit. From now on I will sit with my ankles lightly interwoven, like the Queen. The similarities will end there.

No comments:

Post a Comment